Central Christian School was founded in 1965 in East Point, Georgia (formerly Central Christian Schools). When we opened our doors in September, we became only the fourth Christian school ministry in the state of Georgia. Beginning with the kindergarten program that year, we soon started adding grade levels that eventually resulted in our very first graduating class in May of 1974. Our very first Kindergarten teacher still works part-time at the school teaching pottery.
Dr. Robert McCurry, founder of our Christian school firmly believed that because of the changing beliefs and philosophies of the public school systems, that included removing prayer from the public schools in the early 1960’s, that Christians had to face squarely their responsibility in not only providing a quality education for their children, but providing a quality Christian education for their children. For years, Dr. McCurry devoted his vision, talents, and skill to building what we know today as Central Christian School.
During the years, the school has used three main campuses. The first facility was located on two acres at 1130 Cleveland Avenue in East Point, Georgia. This property was purchased in 1958. The building was a modest rectangular structure with classrooms/Sunday School rooms in the basement. Including the sanctuary, the building had approximately 4000 square feet of space. The building served us well until 1967.
In 1965, 4.5 acres of land was purchased at 2560 Sylvan Road in East Point, Georgia, for the enlargement of the ministry. This location was about two miles from the old building. The new facilities totaled approximately 17,000 square feet . These facilities were opened in July of 1968. During the next twenty years, the school enjoyed its greatest growth, becoming not only one of Georgia’s oldest Christian schools, but also one of Georgia’s largest Christian schools with more than 400 students in grades kindergarten through 12th grade.
During the Spring of 1988, forty-seven acres of property were purchased at 3613 Hwy 34 East in Sharpsburg, Georgia, in Coweta County. This property was approximately 40 miles south of the East Point location. The property was purchased for approximately $315,000.00. Facilities were quickly built totaling more than 50,000 square feet. During this time of transition, God graciously met all of our needs. As a result, we were able to occupy the new facilities in October of 1988 debt free.
To this day, the facility remains debt free. Although we are certainly proud and grateful to God for what he has done for us in the past, we have now turned our full and complete attention to the future. With a growing community and a convenient location between Newnan and Peachtree City, we are looking forward to expanded opportunities, expanded vision, and expanded expectations of what God will do for us in the future.
We invite all of you to become a part of this exciting venture with us.